Friday, October 12, 2012

1990s versus 2000s

We've reached a point wherein we start to argue whose childhood is or was better. We see images of what 90s kids used to have and what kids today have. The biggest argument is about the old shows and music. The thing is time is constantly changing and so is every individual in this world. It happens via the change in our environment and the most influential form of media has been the television and magazines. It is where we get our inspirations from in terms of style and even the way we speak. Who would have thought that you would label a casual look Outfit of the Day (OOTD) when they're merely clothes you put on for the sake of covering your body.

Music, films, tv shows, and fashion editorials are our ways of knowing what is in and what is considered old school. How much have we changed? That isn't even a question anymore because we very well know that you can't even wear a simple ponytail going out when we want to look good. In this post, I will be comparing the music, film, and tv shows of the 1990s and 2000s and from there we can weigh what year is the best.

TV

Being a 90s kid, I might end up becoming biased but I do have my reasons. I am now 19 and yet I still look for the old shows I used to watch. I suppose it's because of all the memories I've had when I saw them but I simply cannot get enough of them, which is why I'm inclined to say that the 1990s might be the year that has the best kids shows.

Cartoon Network:
  • Popeye
  • The Flinstones
  • The Jetsons
  • Captain Planet
  • Power Puff Girls
  • Dexter's Laboratory
  • Power Rangers
  • Ed Edd 'n' Eddy
  • Cow and Chicken
  • Johnny Bravo
  • Pokémon
  • Power Rangers
Nickelodeon:
  • Hey Arnold!
  • Rugrats
  • As Told By Ginger
  • Spongebob Squarepants
  • The Amanda Show
  • All That
  • Kenan and Kel
  • Clarissa
  • Aaahh!!! Real Monsters
  • Roco's Modern Life
  • Kablam
  • Blues Clues
  • Max & Ruby
  • Drake and Josh
  • Naturally Sadie
Disney:
  • Madeline
  • Disney Buzz
  • Studio Disney
  • Sabrina
  • Untalkative Bunny
  • Bear in the Big Blue House
  • Are You Afraid of the Dark
  • Pepper Anne
  • Recess
  • Rolie Polie Olie
  • Art Attack
  • PB&J Otter
  • Bananas in Pajamas
  • Stanley
  • That's So Raven
  • Lizzie Mcguire
  • Kim Possible
  • Proud Family
  • Even Stevens
  • Tiny Planets
Although I would make an exception for Phineas and Ferb, which is an amazing Disney kids tv show about Phineas Flynn and his English step- brother Ferb Fletcher who spends their summer vacation doing remarkable projects that last for a day and annoy their older sister, Candace. Alongside their story is their pet, Perry the Platypus, who is an undercover agent fighting against Dr. Doofenshmirtz who himself is a doof, hence the name. But that is the only kids tv show today that I like whereas everything else is obsolete. They are either just a re-make of the same concept, which sometimes turn out great but if it can't be delivered good enough for the viewers then they just don't deserved to be aired.

Kids shows today:
  • Sonny with a Chance
  • Jonas Brothers
  • Big Time Rush
  • Lazy Town
  • The Naked Brothers Band
  • Ben 10
  • Chowder
  • Fanboy & Chum Chum
  • Danny Phantom
  • Mr. Meaty
  • Avatar: The Legend of Korra
  • Goodluck Charlie
  • Back at the Barnyard
  • True Jackson, VP
Music

What I love most about 90s music is that the lyrics have meaning and the voices of the singers didn't require the use of autotune. I still listen to them in my iPhone and I haven't gotten tired of listening to them.
  • Shaggy - Boombastic, It Wasn't Me, Angel
  • Zhané - Hey Mr. DJ
  • Weezer - Island on the Sun
  • Fugees - Killing Me Softly
  • Madonna - Ray of Light
  • Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
  • Oasis - Wonderwall
  • Goo Goo Dolls - Iris
  • Cranberries - Zombie
  • Michael Jackson - Black or White
  • Bryan Adams - (Everything I Do) I Do It For You
  • MC Hammer - U Can't Touch This
  • Green Day - Basket Case
  • Destiny's Child - Say My Name
  • Metallica - Nothing Else Matters
  • Natalie Imbruglia - Torn
  • Blink 182 - All the Small Things
  • Puff Daddy - I'll Be Missing You
  • Britney Spears - Oops I Did It Again, Lucky, Baby One More Time
  • Creed - Higher
  • Savage Garden - Truly Madly Deeply
  • Moffats - Miss You Like Crazy, If Life Is So Short, I'll Be There For You
  • Westlife - Uptown Girl
  • A1 - Like A Rose, Take On Me
  • Backstreet Boys - I Want It That Way, Don't Want You Back, Incomplete
  • Run DMC - Walk This Way
  • Bon Jovi - Living On A Prayer
Yes it's a lot but I do have songs that are modern-ish and I like all kinds of music. Although, there is a limit as to how far I can go to accepting songs because there are songs that I don't like but it doesn't mean that I don't like the genre, it's just that particular song that I dislike.
  • Foster the People - Pumped Up Kicks
  • Scooter - J'adore Hardcore
  • Ellie Goulding - Guns and Horses, Starry Eyed, Lights
  • Bahama Soul Club ft. Pat Appleton - Bossa Bop (Valique's Hop Bop Remix)
  • All In - Dubba Jonny
  • De-Phazz - The Mambo Craze
  • Dub FX - Fly With Me, Sooth Your Pain, Wandering Love
  • Daft Punk - One More Time, Digital Love, Stronger
  • Gym Class Heroes - Stereo Hearts
  • Don Omar ft. Lucenzo - Danza Kuduro
  • Sean Kingston - Fire Burning On the Dancefloor
  • LMFAO - Party Rock Anthem, Champagne Showers
  • Loona - Vamos A La Playa
  • Hyper Crush - Kick Us Out
  • Inna Modja - French Cancan
  • Nicki Minaj - Super Bass
  • One Republic - Secrets, Apologize, Good Life
As you can see, I have quite a spread of interest with music genres but what I dislike is the use of too much autotune and voices that sound unnatural like Rihanna. I just can't seem to like how her voice sounds but I like the lyrics of her songs so I still sing them.

Film

Majority of the films I know growing up are mostly children's movies. Some I have seen with my parents for the sake of my sanity because of the violence it contains. Nevertheless, I enjoyed watching all of them and I still watch most of them.
  • Schindler's List
  • Saving Private Ryan
  • Forrest Gump
  • Titanic
  • Toy Story 1 & 2
  • Jurassic Park
  • The Lion King
  • Edward Scissorhands
  • Home Alone
  • Selena
  • Little Women
  • Pretty Woman
  • Clueless
  • American Pie
  • Bring It On
  • Ghost
  • Sister Act 2
What I like most about today's movies are the graphics and music. I am more of the person who prioritizes the story of the film than the graphics or how the scene was shot. Unfortunately, there aren't that many movies that prioritizes the story so I'm lucky enough for the current existence of a few.
  • Lord of the Rings 1-3
  • Harry Potter 1-7
  • Narnia
  • Monte Carlo
  • Freaky Friday
  • Aquamarine
  • Mean Girls 1&2
  • Wild Child
  • It's A Boy Girl Thing
  • Sydney White
  • Just My Luck
  • She's the Man
  • Juno
  • Step Up
  • LOL (French version)
  • American Wedding
  • Not Another Teen Movie
  • Disaster Movie
  • Meet the Spartans
  • Scary Movie
  • Pans Labyrinth
There are lots more that I can mention but then the list will be long. And so I can say that the best kids tv shows are from the 1990s because of their plots even if they didn't have such a high quality production as today. I would say both music from the 90s and 00s are good in their own way but it's the ones from the 90s that we remember in the long run. Just like the tv shows, movies in the past had more flavor in their stories whereas today they concentration on how the movie is made such as their graphics.

We see too many remakes like Batman, Spiderman, Xmen, etc... Can you say that they're really amazing? If the quality was the same as before then it would just be average so we only watch to be entertained by their image and sound quality more than their plot. I would say that both generations have certain characteristics that make them great but I do choose the story over the quality and I think even today there are some films that provide that so it's pretty equal for me.

Photo sources:
http://www.funnyjunk.com/funny_pictures/2099265/Why/

No comments:

Post a Comment